Orange Meringue Tarts
ORANGE MERINGUE TARTS
This recipe has been kindly supplied by Flourish reader Kay Aram.
Makes: Approximately 24 or a single medium sized pie.
Sweet Short Pastry
200g plain flour
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon caster sugar (optional)
100–125ml cold water (approx)
1 x 250g jar of Orange Butter (purchased or homemade)
2 egg whites
¼ cup caster sugar
- Prepare tart tray(s) by lightly greasing or spray with cooking spray.
- Make pastry by mixing butter into flour until mixture looks like breadcrumbs; add sugar, egg yolk and water to make short pastry. Add the water gradually as you may not need it all. Dough should not be too dry or too wet.
- Roll out on well floured surface, cut to tartlet sized shapes (I used my largest 7cm sized metal scone cutter), prick with a fork and place into trays.
- Option 1: Put bases in trays and bake empty for 10 min at 210C. They will rise in the centre, so just push the centre down gently while still hot and then cool before adding 1 teaspoon of Orange Butter to each.
- Option 2: Prick bases, place in trays and add 1 teaspoon of Orange Butter to each.
- Leave a gap at the top. Don't overfill the cases as you need to allow room for the meringue and also the Orange Butter may ooze out during cooking.
- To make the meringue, beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then add the caster sugar gradually until all dissolved and then beat until stiff and glossy.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue mixture gently over the Orange Butter.
- Baking option 1 for pre-cooked bases: Bake at 180oC for 15 min until meringue is a very pale brown.
- Baking Option 2 for uncooked bases: Bake at 180oC for 20 minutes to ensure the base is cooked.
|You may like...|
|Thermomix: Rich Chocolate Cake||Rasberry + Apple Cake||Vegie Lasagne||Vanilla Panna Cotta|
Look around Flourish
- Health + Wellbeing
- Nourish: Food, Wine + Entertaining
- Inspiration + Motivation
- Parenting, Babies, Children + Family
- Shopping + New Products
- What's On
- Competitions + Giveaways
- Career, Finance, Money + Business
- Flourishing Women
- Home + Garden
- Holidays + Travel
- Fitness + Exercise
- Fiction + Poetry
- Bridal + Weddings
- Flourish Men
- Craft + Puzzles
- Food for Thought
- Paleo Banana Bread
- Beef in Red Wine Stew
- Osso Bucco
- Chicken, Proscuitto + Leek Casserole
- Mushroom + Cashew Stirfry
- Spiced Mushrooms
- Chicken Burgers
- Oxtail Terrine
- Banana Bread
- Apricot Strudel
- Banana Oat Cookies
- Red Grapefruit Chicken Salad
- Thermomix 5 Minute Bliss Balls with Crio Bru or Cacao
- Paleo Chocolate Slice
- Kids' Special Hamburgers
- Roast Pumpkin Loaf
- Roasted Tomato + Lentil Soup
- Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Blueberry Cake
- Thermomix: Luigi's 40 Second Biscuits
- Thermomix: Rich Chocolate Cake
- Eggless Chocolate Cake
- Marmalade or Jam Bread
- Vegie Lasagne
- Teriyaki Pork Stirfry
- Hearty Thai Pumpkin Soup
- Salmon with potatoes & a basil, parmesan crust
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Thermomix: Chocolate Mousse Tart
- Poached Chicken with Crushed Potatoes
- French Toast with Smoked Salmon and Lemon, Dill Crème Fraiche
- Zucchini, Bacon and Borlotti Bean Soup
- Smoked Salmon Paté
- Khmer Beef Curry
- Cauliflower Pizza
- Spinach + Seafood Pasties
- Spaghetti with Olives, Lemon and Capers
- Chocolate + Yoghurt Pots
- Carrot + Coriander Dip
- Beauty Review: Milky Foot
- Ditching Debt
- The difference between Papaya and Pawpaw
- The How-to of Reducing your Bust Size (but only if you want to)
- Put some Passion in Your Life with...Passionfruit!
- Shape Shifting - Menopause and Weight Gain
- Book Review: Friendship Bread
- Autumn Fashion for the Ex-Lamb (who doesn't like mutton)
- Secrets of Understanding Cryptic Crosswords 1
- Cooler Weather Skin Care Love
- A Mother's Choice
- Feeding Fussy Toddlers - Tips and Recipes
- Poem: Etiquette - being a lady
- Flourish in Your Life - Flourish YOU
- Back to Juicing Basics
- Building Rapport in a Sales Environment
- Green Shopping
- Skin Deep
- Movie Review: Here I Am
- Movie Review: The Sweeney